PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs
Thread: Jobs
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2011, 19:36
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got half offered a job once over, by a civvy outfit, and when I said 'that's not that high a pay packet' I was told 'it's okay, add on your pension and you're on pretty much the same pay as you are now'.

I said "yes, but I've already earned my pension, I'm not about to donate it as some sort of top up for a derisory pay offer" - didn't hear anything more about the potential job.

Only an idiot would take this sort of offer, but I'll bet you now they have more idiots than slots available....

As the TO implies, you might not get the sharpest knives in the drawer as a result, but as I expect the current hierarchy figure a pilot is a pilot is a pilot then I doubt they'll worry about the quality of instruction.

Dave

Biggles pulled down his goggles and turned on the clattery thing whatsit at the front, while an airman pulled the fan thing around a bit before giving it a mighty swing.

The fan spun jolly quickly - the aircraft bumped across the grass and was soon airborne, and Biggles yanked on the sticky up bit until the nose pointed roughly towards the trenches, whilst pointing up a bit to avoid hitting trees and stuff.

Unknown to Biggles his arch nemesis, Von Schlaggenteufel (the "Blue Baron") was already waiting up sun and preparing to swoop down on the gallant Englishman....

Unaware of his danger, Biggles tweaked a few knobs and tits until the engine settled down to a raucous bellow....

(Excerpt from 'Biggles learns to fly, on the cheap' (c) Capt W E Johns, 1924)