PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2011, 13:39
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some questions that I think are worth asking:

1. exactly what position are the flaps in? the flap selector switch/handle?

2. The procedure of this airline must state which flap setting is used for an ILS approach...does anyone out there know what it is?

3. Most likely this plane was a METRO IV or 4. But I would like to know for sure what the type is.

4. Seems to me that a syncrhophaser was installed on the later ones...wondering about this ship?

Someone commented on the stall characteristics of this type. It is equipped with SAS (stability augmentation system), stick pusher. There is a clutch which can be disengaged by switch in the cockpit.

Also, there is almost certainly a way to know who was flying the plane as their is a switch which selects horizontal trim to either the copilot or pilot's side...Even if there isn't a black box, the trim selector swich should let us know who was flying.

some of you will of course state as fact that the captain was flying...due to wx...well, we really can't be sure yet.

The metroliner started life as the Merlin and then was stretched to the Metro, Metro 2, Metro 2a (these had jato bottles in the tail, you switched on the rocket if you lost an engine on takeoff...those jokers said it was just a smoke signal for the CFR boys). The wings on these types appear much shorter.

The Metro 3 lost the Jato bottle and added wingtip extensions (without spar).

The Metro 4 refined it a bit. Dowty rotol props seem to be the big change.

Continuous alcohol water injection is available for takeoff to increase engine power.

The nosewheel on this type is freely castering, except when the steering system is engaged, by touching a button on the port side of the throttles, then it is hydraulically operated, controlled by rudder pedals. For sharp corners there is a button on the captain's left side which increases the authority.

The metro can be operated single pilot in certain conditions,but most likely requires two pilots.