PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2011, 12:54
vakantieman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N-1?

Some 14 yrs ago I was offered a skipperjob on a german metro. In order to get the German License I had to to a practical exam with the TRE Tomas Bert. Doors closed before engine start He just asked me to explain the procedrure: Engine 1 fails at or after V1. ('If you dont know, we are not going to start Zeeee engines at all). Good:

Option 1: Rotate, stay in ground effect and raise the gear (its not a JAR25 plane), accellerate V2, 400' recall items, climb above obstacle, accellerate blue line and climb to MSA.
Option 2: Rotate, stay in ground effect and raise the gear, accellerate blue line and climb out towards the MSA, 400' recall items etc.

Oh yeah, just in case the GEN1 stays connected to the LH main elec system, it will start to generate to many amps (fixed shaft prop) that it will blow the BTC (bus tie connector) resulting in los of LH main elec system. This is preventable by switching off the GEN1 in due time (well below 400').
If this happens anyway then Zeee Metro has 10 transferrable items in order to transfer the main systems to the RH main elec system. The most important switches: LG ctrl, LG lights, Flap position indicator.

Zee examiner was very pleased with the whole answer. 'Ok, very good. But now you close your eyes, and operate the switches withouth looking'.
(The swithes are behind the captains LH elbow. 2 rows of 5 switches.)

V1 cuts, N-1 goarounds are to say it mildly: a challenge.

There are no Metro simulators in europe. This means 'on the job training'.

The Metro's stall caracteristycs are very bad. We could only train the approach to the stall. in order not to stall completely and drop a wing.

The Metro's I used to fly had an AP usable during the cruise but useless during decent and approach. Same sh*t for the FD.

The Metro is certainly not an easy plane to fly and operate. Could be a handfull for most of us.

During the interview with the PFO I was told: 'This is a commercial company. If we cant earn money using your services, unfortunately we will have no other option then looking for a substitute.
Oh sorry guys, this is more a GA thing.

So, IF this crew made a mistake somewere down the line, IT IS ONLY A SMALL PART OF THE REAL PROBLEM.

Tailwind