PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2011, 07:33
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the port engine in Machaca's photo http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/4...ml#post6239293

One blade, towards the camera, is bent in the plane of rotation if feathered as shown. If the prop had not been feathered as shown upon contact with whatever caused the bending, but, say, in fine pitch as one would expect in this phase of flight, then this bending would be directly forward, that is, the wing would have been moving backwards relative to whatever caused the bending, as well as, coincidentally, at exactly the right angle wrt a rotating blade to bend it exactly forward.

One other visible blade doesn't appear to be bent at all. If so, then mildly, normal to the plane of the photo. The third blade is bent, again, if feathered, in the plane of rotation, and very strongly. Here, same story as above with the second, mildly bent, blade.

I don't think it can be ruled out that the blades were feathered when they hit whatever caused the bending. That is an indication to my mind of a possible abnormality with the engine/prop earlier than touchdown. But I am not expert on TPE331's or Metroliners.