PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 ND VOR Raw Data?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2011, 06:15
main_dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see some responses to this message have been removed for reasons unknown
NSEU, you may be referring to my post... I withdrew it in consideration of the fact that having been on the ship less than two years, there's a heck of a lot more about it that I don't know than I do know. Thus like Duke I wanted to go flying first and see it firsthand before making an a$$ of myself . Anyway here's the post, with the proviso that I'm not sure yet!

Like most pilots on the 400 (or any EFIS jet really) when I do fly over a VOR I am usually in map mode, so I'm not sure about the deviation bar. The VOR pointer needle however will start wavering increasingly as you approach the station, only to disappear as you overfly it, and reappear on the other side.

It stands to reason that if you had displayed VOR on your ND, the deviation bar would similarly waver, disappear and finally reappear on the other side of the station, as it is just another form of presenting the same raw information the needle pointer does.

As far as I'm aware the pointer/deviation bar are pure raw data and in no way manipulated by the FMC.

MD

PS Indeed you can't Coffin, all you can do is let the aircraft fly it in LNAV provided it is doing a good job, or else follow the radial yourself "manually" by adjusting the heading (using HDG S
EL).