PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2011, 00:39
fen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Irish Pilot how many accident reports do you need to read where the fatal occurred on the third attempt to be convinced that this is bad practice.
CRM wise: First attempt unsuccessful, second likewise. Now on either there may have been a glimpse, hopefully of runway or approach lighting as apposed to road or car park. But my friend these were not successful approaches and barring a significant change in the weather why attempt a third. Well unless you had been daft enough to put on insufficient fuel in the first place in which case the pilot who should not be a pilot adopts the we will land mental model and kills or injures people. I have only been flying for 35 years so my comments may show a lack of maturity and reflect a degree of inexperience.
Of course the aircraft may well have had a severe mechanical or instrument failure at a critical point and that will come out in due course if that is the case.As professionals we should always be aware of those common flaws in human nature that in their broadest terms tend to lead to risk taking. I try to be aware of this, not least because I don't think that I am paid enough to take risks.