PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 19:24
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Locked door
In My Last Airline.

Incorrect, you are confusing a Decision Altitude with a Minimum Descent Altitude.

On a precision approach (ILS/MLS) the decision is made AT the DA, during the go around manoeuver a minor descent after the decision is made is expected and accounted for when the altitude is decided upon by governing authorities. This is why it's not uncommon for aircraft to lightly touch the tarmac during a go around from a CAT111B with Decision Alt Approach (which is often just 25ft above the tarmac).

On a Non Precision approach you have a Minimum Descent Altitude, which you may not descend below unless all the visual requirements for that approach are met.

Hope that helps.
The issue is not where the DH is initiated it is the conditions that exist when you go by the DH. Yes you make the decision to continue or start the missed at the DH but as I though I clearly indicated the important point is to be stabilized on speed and with good visual references when you go by the DH if you intend to continue. I find it difficult to believe that was the case in this accident and as happened so many times in the past when you have a crashed aircraft beside the runway after a low visibility approach the usual cause is continuing the approach without adequate visual references.

You can lecture me on IFR 101, as frankly I do not care, but I still think there is an opportunity today, for some good to come of this tragedy and that is to use it as reminder to not push low visibly Cat 1 approaches. If you have a problem with that message.....so be it

And BTW I am have 23 + yrs of commercial flying experience, what's your experience level ?