PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD - All Not Good in Mesa
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 16:54
Hilife

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes throwing money around just doesn't work. You need the passion, vision, leadership and knowledge for the product and it's marketplace.
That’s very true of your workforce, but they don’t buy the product, the customer does.

What the customer has always wanted from MD is a well funded and credible owner who will not only invest in the product, but is also in it for the long run and not just an opportunity to lean and sell for a profit after 5-years.

I genuinely hope MD comes back, but this is only going to happen under the wings of one of the big four commercial players (SAC/EC/AW & Bell) and the further the big four's products evolve, the less likely they are to take on MDHi's stagnating product line.

I don't see EC being interested in anything MD has to offer, AW possibly a few years ago, but with their new AW169 in design, I'd figure them out of the equation too, so that leaves Bell and SAC.

I don't see Bell as having the money or the business case with the 429 in production and as for SAC? 5-years ago maybe, but in spite of desperately lacking something in the 7,000 to 9,000 lb category for the huge EMS/ALE market, I’m not so sure this would still be an option, as I suspect technology is moving on too quickly to make the MD902 production line a worthwhile buy.

It's a great shame as the MD902 is a credible competitor to the EC135, but what chief pilot or owner is going to opt for a platform with an uncertain future, which makes MDHi a high risk option for buyer’s and this is where the problem lies.