PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 16:07
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
There are almost never any "new" accidents. The exact circumstances of the vast majority of accidents have happened before. I think it is highly likely in a year or two when the final accident report is published the cause will be loss of aircraft control after pushing an approach below minimums and either a too low too late go around or after desperate manoevering at very low altitude attempting to line up. I say this not because I know anything different from what any other poster but because history has shown this is by far the most likely cause given the facts of this accident.

I think this accident should be treated as a wake up call to everyone flying the line today.

By the DH: If you are not on speed, stabilized on the ILS and have good contact with the ground environment so that you are able to immediately perceive the attitude of the aircraft and its relative motion with respect to terrain......GO AROUND.

Easy to say but hard to do on those marginal days when the pressure to go that little extra bit further can be
pretty high.......

Finally attempting multiple approaches is a proven killer. As I posted earlier an American study found that a 3 third approach to the same airport in practice has proven to be up to 15 times more likely to result in a fatal accident than the first attempt. Therefore I would suggest if you miss on the first two attempts you should have a very good reason to try a third.

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 11th Feb 2011 at 17:43.