PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 14:00
Pull what

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange no one has speculated about the possibility of a loss of control due to low airspeed and the possibility of airframe icing, especially after a 20 minute cold soak hold.

The position in which the aircraft ended up, its inversion and the apparent undamaged main legs suggests to me that the aircraft flew into that position or if you like 'fell out of the sky' . An alleged passenger statement seems to confirm a wing tip striking the ground which would then have quite possibly inverted the aircraft which it seems then possibly pitched nose down into the ground severing the fuselage with the nose section possibly impacting the rear fuselage and giving that slight bend to the nosewheel leg before coming to rest .

My guess is a loss of control occurred below decision height, most likely in the go around configuration, possibly due to low airspeed bringing about a stalled wing down condition possibly aggravated by wing icing, engine failure or /and mis-handling.

I can confirm that both airlines I worked for had ops manuals that contained SOPS that said-A third approach may only be made after a SIGNIFICANT weather improvement. (brought about by the G-ANTB accident at Jersey in 1965)

May I respectfully appoint out to the whingers that this forum started life as a PROFESSIONAL pilots RUMOUR forum-my posts are an attempt to meet that criteria!