PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 11th Feb 2011, 13:25
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably more useful and practical than an oil level sensor is the solution some other types have, whereby the two pumps take their feed from different levels within the sump. When the higher one loses its supply it generates a caution and when the lower one loses it supply it generates a warning. This gives a sequence that points directly to oil loss.
Good point, so why did SAC not build this into the S92 design, or a ELS such as the S61 which has a published 120 minutes limit at Vy? (RFM: proceed to nearest landing site at an airspeed of approx 70 -90 knots). Would Mr Lappos care to comment?

30-minute run-dry time would perhaps have allowed 491 to land on Hibernia, but the sad fact is that it still wouldn't have made landfall. I still say the PIC should have ditched, but I can understand why not when the type only had SS4 EFS installed and the SS was at SS4 plus the false and ambiguous data provided by the MRGB flight instruments. Without HUEBA and a good chance of a quick capsize the odds of survival probably would not have been much higher, but at least better than a high velocity impact.

I believe that all the Cougar S92s now have SS6 EFS, noticeable by the addition of step feet on the sponsons.

If the TSB recommendations are enforced to the letter we will not see the S92A retained in NL if SAC do not address their inherent design issues and Achilles' heel on this type.

I didn't see any mention of the S92A mounting feet cracks in the report, even though this is not perceived to be a causal factor on the demise of 491 it is still another clear indication that this MRGB design has other serious design flaws.

Until SAC get their act together on the S92 give me a EC225 or 332L2 with their own specific RIPS functionality (332 apparently has heated mats and slip rings same as the EC225 plus a pneumatic boot on the leading edge on the horizontal stabiliser) so we can fly most of the year up here, or the CH-148 MRGB version in the S92A for our hostile waters. We flew the Super Pumas up here for years in the winter and to my knowledge all they did was wear out their gearboxes frequently and were high maintenance. So much for progress...

Safe flying

Max