PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zs-gaa Missing Near Plett?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 11:56
Mile High Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Opinions

Hi all,
Everybody is entitled to there own opinion, but nobody will ever know what went on in that flight deck at that moment in time. We landed in George when all this was going on and heard ATC asking other aircraft to try make contact with GAA, to which "No Joy" was the reply. We broke cloud on the ILS for RWY29 into George at Minima's even so, the vis below cloud was poor and it was drizzling at the airfield. My immediate reaction when I heard the terrible news was, What were they thinking! Then one needs to think back on times where we all have had close calls and done things which we promise never to try again. Maybe they were not granted a second chance or maybe a condition existed that we know nothing about. When you are flying a Monitored approach with the assistance of an Autopilot, A experienced Captain/First Officer and EFIS equipment, the stresses are enormous, and it's so easy to get disorientated or slightly behind the drag curve. We don't know what stresses or situations they were in at the time so making assumptions is perhaps slightly unfair.
What we can all do is learn from others experiences.
Fly Safe Guys....
My sincere condolences to all family and friends of the victims.