PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zs-gaa Missing Near Plett?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 09:48
The Ancient Geek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael:

It is entirely possible that some entirely unrelated cause may have affected the pilot or the aircraft, and caused it to impact the sea. In other words, the causal factor may have presented itself long before the aircraft ever descended to the minima, or during the process of carrying out a missed approach from at or above the minima.
Indeed.
In my previous posts I was careful to say that other factors may well be found. In the absence of any reports of emergency communications we can however only suspect the obvious cause.
This is not the time to be attributing blame, we simply do not know.

It is however important for those of us (and ISTR this includes you) who know the area and the typical conditions to remind the younger and less experienced pilots that the only safe option is to divert. Stooging around looking for holes just burns up the fuel that could have taken you to a safe landing elsewhere. None of us is perfect but it falls upon those of us who have pushed our luck in the past, scared ourselves sh*tless but survived, to warn others against the fatal temptations.

As I said before, there but for the grace........

Be well and fly safe.