PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions IV
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 09:29
mrpony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dorkan spouts forth

This copied from the CC thread:

Just some personal observations from me -

There is no way in this country any union could conduct a ballot that is 100% safe - it simply isn't possible.
Whereas before, judges when looking at injunctions would accept a margin of error, that is increasingly becoming a thing of the past. Blame the political hold on the judiciary for this, not the unions.

Even though legal advice taken following BA's letter to the ERBS seriously cast doubt on BA being successful in the High Court there was enough grey area to make it sensible to reballot. Another month of uncertainty hurts BA more than us.

An example of how ludicrous things are becoming - One of the problems surrounded a website report back from Amicus's branch meeting, held a week before the ballot closed, which said how the membership reiterated their opinion that any overall settlement must include the initial crew complement imposition. I gather BA insisted that this "report back" from a meeting had tainted the ballot (as if) and crew would now believe they were voting on crew complements. As we have already had a strike on this issue then the 12 week protection period would be exhausted and going out again BA would be able to dismiss instantly claiming the strike was continuous. Extremely tenuous I know and also highly debateable but BA are exploiting every loophole - so much so it is dangerous to even report back what members say at branch meetings.

What now? Well we said it will be a war of attrition and that is what it has become. Keep voting yes, keep the faith and keep going.

I don''t know where to start with this. I'm sure someone will dissect it.