PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 09:07
Swiss Cheese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some "previous" worth T.I.C

I recall in some detail two previous Metro accidents that I was and am involved with, both in bad weather, one involving Flightline.

The first was October 10, 2001, when Flightline lost an aircraft EC-GDV nr Valencia FIR . Probable cause of electrical failure due to electrical storm and loss of control. Ten died. There was insufficient insurance cover on the aircraft for the families.

The second, was May 7th, 2005, when Transair lost an aircraft VH-TFU in fog on approach to Lochhart River, in Northern Queensland. The ATSB report makes for very interesting reading. Litigation is ongoing in State Court in Chicago, Illionis, on behalf of the families on the basis that the GPWS failed to perform as designed (i.e. last line of defense against CFIT).

I can guarantee that the Irish AAIU will do a superlative job with this tragedy, I have been impressed by Leo Murray and his team and their work in recent years. If there are systemic safety deficiencies within manx2 and/or Flightline, then those will be identified and remedied.

From experience, I can also suggest that Flightline/AOC holder will be subject to close and detailed scrutiny by EU regulators in Brussels.