PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is RACWA on finals? YOU WERE WARNED!!
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 08:33
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Icarus:

ignores the fact that RACWA has been doing this succesfully for decades. The balance is achieved by careful management of the flying program. For starters most private hirers want the aircraft on weekends, full time students week days, a perfect fit you might say. If crusty old Sunfish wants an aircraft for two weeks, well the fleet size needs to accomodate that. RACWA has a large fleet and there are daily minimum flying requirements for a two week hire so that neither the club or the member misses out.

You seem to suggest that the RACWA model is flawed. Well it has survived for a very long time. Recent events surrounding WAAC and debt have made a major contribution to the present situation along with a downturn in flying generally.
You may be right. I guess it is for RACWA members to comment. I'd add that in good times the effect of these matters is masked.

I note that you suggest daily minimums seem to apply to "crusty old Sunfish". Do they equally apply to the commercial students? My observation would that they seem not to.

Fortunately for me, I've never experienced that issue. I've always booked well in advance and received what I've asked for. I would also observe that touring makes about the same daily aircraft utilisation as training. It would seem to be few training aircraft that would make more than Three - Four hours a day once briefings, etc are taken into account.

I wish RACWA all the best. I'm merely pointing out obvious points of friction.