PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anti Virus Software
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 03:05
stumpey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Norton AV/Internet security

Sorry to disagree folks, but I really do think all of you "Norton Knockers" here are way out of date with your assessments of the current programme. Five or six years ago I would have TOTALLY agreed with you. Large install, rapidly growing with each update and very processor hungry. But not any more, and not so for the last 3/4 years.
I've used Internet security on 7-10 machines for the last few years. Very small install, doesn't grow too much over the year. Very quick to auto update and can easily be left on its default setting after install. Hardly impacts on processor power at all, in fact my users don't notice its there, (Until the annual renewal notices keep cropping up).
Considering some of the dodgy sites that are visited and some of the downloads they make I would rate its protection factor as INCREDIBLE! No product is perfect and what one programme lets through today, another will let through tomorrow. But after regularly checking against other products, I'm happy with Norton. Give it a few more years and it will probably change to some other major company, but not now.
And if you can adjust your buying time to midway through their annual update cycle, you can buy at half price or less! Five to ten quid a year per machine? That ain't dear!
Remember a verbal promise often isn't worth the paper its written on, bit like free not being worth what you pay.