PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2011, 02:13
DERG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish Engine Life in Hours

Pax Romanis..yes Bear, thank you, AGREED
Barit1 I thought me and you were reconciled?

So are RR aerospace turbines generally sub standard compared to GE/EA et al.?

This evidence from elsewhere on this site:

"RB211-535 19,000 hours average time to first shop visit, The RB211-535E4 achieved the world record for on-wing life without removal for over 40,000 hours over nine years in operation for a 757."

RR has such a tip top reputation here in the UK in keeping with the above statement.

And generally:

"Most engine removals are for deteriorated thrust rating or EGT margin. Modern engines are getting towards 30,000 hours on wing and if I remember corectly the old Concorde Olympus were more like 300!"

Then from Turbine D we have this: Edelweiss incident

"DCA04IA002"

"Both engines were Rolls-Royce Trent 772-60/16 turbofan engines and were installed on the airplane when it was delivered new from Airbus on November 21, 2000; neither engine had been removed or overhauled since they were installed. Both engines had accumulated 15,169 hours time since new (TSN) and 2,348 cycles since new (CSN)."

Note: RR have limited the T972 to 70 cycles total life

and here from the guys in the shops

http://www.pprune.org/engineers-tech...gine-mtbf.html

Moreover these airliners are not dropping out of the skies, I see them often on the 6 500 mile hike from central Europe to the W Coast of N America spinning their silken contrails as they battle the western winds. This has been going on for 45 years or more beginning with the B707, never a deviation from the steady progress across the sky

Despite the fact that GE appears to have the advantage of newer technology and access to better academics, RR are not done yet.

Last edited by DERG; 11th Feb 2011 at 13:17. Reason: link