PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2011, 21:15
dfstrottersfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaggy Sheep Driver

"Well, I remember a Viscount at Manchester many years ago where a practice engine-out go-around went wrong. The result looked very similar to that Metroliner - upside down, wheels in the air, by the side of the runway.

Did something go wrong during a go-around from minimums? Maybe this wasn't just a 'press-on-itis' accident?"
(SLF) I remember many moons ago coming into Wick from Aberdeen in a Viscount the approach was from the landward side . We could see the airport buildings , I could even see my car. But it was foggy over the runway and we endured 2 missed approaches - the captain came over the PA and said sorry - we are off to Kirkwall we'll try and drop you in Wick on the return journey. In the back we were relieved !! Guess that BA SOPs were similar to those discussed on this thread 30 years or so ago.

Next thing we were told that they had changed their minds and we were coming in down wind from the sea. What a fantastic ride in - great skill from the pilot - I guess a tailwind of 20 knots makes for an exciting landing for you guys up front !!!