PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2011, 20:18
Avenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PBL, with respect, I don't think anyone is trying to "investigate" this incident. This is a forum for aviation people and those interested in the same, as such, people have a right to voice their opinions, however far off the mark they may be. One common thread is the regret and sorrow felt, nobody questions that accord.

The " reliable" information, i.e from the tower controllers, the police, pax in the terminal is that the weather was so foggy they could not see the crash site, only hear the noise and then see the flames.

The pictures on the various newspaper sites show the position of the aircraft relative to the runway, and holding point, some marks on the grass of excursion. They also show the nose almost broken off and the bent upwards with the Nose Gear, the fracture of the hull, aft of the nose, and the Main landing gear in tact.

Returning to your process, the weather was confimed as foggy, vis unconfirmed, but from the tower report to the press very low vis.

The aircraft was making an approach to RW 17 and crashed, the exact phase of flight, i.e landing flare or go-around or glide path is not known.

Of course human nature is that people want to ventilate their theories, that is why this is a forum..you know well the preliminary report, just like Hellios, TY will be ambiguous

In Photos: The Cork plane crash tragedy TheJournal

Your sober approach to this is to be commended, however, it is still a forum for debate, having said that, it is frustrating to see debate on JAR Ops material that is freely available outside of this thread and can be researched without the painful implications that the crew were slack.