PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2011, 19:13
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the people who have actually been involved in aircraft accident investigation have not appeared on this thread.

Exception; aterpster, who posted the charts.

For those of you who don't know (apparently most posters), let me give a brief lesson in the very beginnings of accident analysis.

Lesson 1: Determine any facts you can.

The facts as I understand them reading this thread.

1 There is an aircraft upside down near or on some asphalt at Cork Airport
2 The aircraft appears to be EC-ITP
3. This aircraft belongs to XYZ airline.
4. The Metar for Cork for the time at which the accident is reported to have happened suggests general foggy conditions
5 Some passengers are reported in hospital; some passengers are reported dead.

And to obtain this extremely meagre information, slightly longer than a T-W-I-T-T-E-R message, I have waded through about 140 messages. (Interesting that I have to spell the WWW site name that way, to prevent the SW substituting "PPRuNe" for it!)

Lesson 2: Determine the causal relations, if any, between the facts.

Result: The passengers dead and in the hospital are probably in this condition because of the state of the aircraft.

Let me suggest what it would be good to know next.

A. If the aircraft was performing an approach at the time it crashed, which approach was it?
B. Where is the crash location on the airport plan?
C. What was the reported weather/actual weather/any weather details at the actual time at which the crash occurred?

When this is known, one might be able to write a very brief factual report. (Edit: and of course the usual sources have this info by now - PICTURE & GRAPHIC: Crashed Metroliner in Cork identified as EC-ITP)

For people choosing to slam the airline/pontificate about LoCos, and so on, give us a break from your personal politics. For all we know at the moment, the aircraft could have collided with an albatross on very short final, which went through the windshield and did for the PF.

Last edited by PBL; 10th Feb 2011 at 20:28. Reason: Link to info