PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2011, 16:49
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by White Knight
I have personally seen Cork go from CAVOK to below CAT II from TOD to arriving at the LOC... (Off to Shannon we went) Vice versa, I've seen Cork go from NO-GO to CAT I in a couple of minutes. Ergo your comment vis a vis 375m/100' doesn't mean anything at this airport. Cork airport is on top of a cloudy and windy hill.... The weather changes very rapidly!
I am sure the weather can change rapidly at Cork, but it wasn't changing at the time of the accident as there was no significant wind and the temp and dew point were the same. It is one thing to come around for a second approach when there is clear evidence that there is both a weather phenomenon occurring that will cause the weather to improve and some evidence of that improvement but from the publish weather reports neither were occurring at the time of the accident.

I have a question for my European brethren. In Canada, regulations prohibit the pilot from proceeding past the FAF on a Class1 ILS, with the weather as reported. If a pilot did continue with the approach the control tower would submit an occurance report and Transport Canada enforcement would start an investigation. So is there no regulations that prohibit the conduct of very low visibility approaches at UK/Ireland airports ?