PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2011, 16:22
bearfoil

fuel starvation requiring an emergency (ENGINE) AD qualifies as a failure to me. One a/c was lost due lack of thrust, another came within 13k feet of impacting remote Mountains. Our give and take could get arcane and adversarial; I'll stipulate that we have an impasse.

With this caveat. The FOHE in these incidents/accidents is also under suspicion in the QF32 Burst, along with the EEC's inability to shut down the QF32's #1 and #2. The FOHE is the only oil cooler on board both iterations of these variants. The OIL in 972 is a known issue, as to temps, and service life at poured specs.

The fact that some believe the 972 has no FADEC fire point is not relevant, the panel showed FIRE (via EEC) on the ECAM, interposed between two alerts for "OVERHEAT", yet the Engine (S) both were allowed to run on. And ON. The Architecture in TRENT installs is borderline AD worthy at any given moment. Emirates over the wall Hull Loss, BA038's Crash, and QF32's Serious Incident.

edit. To others. Isn't it a matter of concern that the loss of #2 and the runon of #1 are indicative of a common fault?? To me it is obvious; am I alone in noting the original lack of shut down of #2 and the run on of #1 ?? The EEC technically caused the Burst AND the Loss of #1 via mud ingestion?? The High Oil Temp may not have been the result of Bearing overheat, but the lack of Cooling at the FOHE, which then allowed the bearings to O/H, and Fail?? There is a great deal more to this than meets the eye. EG "OIL Aeration, Misting, OverTemping," etc.

Last edited by bearfoil; 10th Feb 2011 at 16:42.