PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates to take 14 aircraft in next fiscal year
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:29
Guy D'ageradar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F5

Is Track-Miles-To-Run a secret for some reason?
No, It's not. It should be given at least once during the approach but if, for example, you are given direct UKRIM, then I would consider it somewhat superfluous and a waste of r/t time.

Or is it unknown? Are ATC shooting from the hip?
Yes and No. There is a plan. Often that plan has to change because, for example, aircraft 1 is floating down at 200 fpm and won't be ready to turn when planned or b) aircraft 2 is being "creative" with the speeds and the planned sequence will no longer work.

At 05:00 it shouldn't be too much of a problem as almost everyone is coming through BUBIN, so it's a case of "follow the leader". The provisos above still apply, however.

Why do we have to ask?
You shouldn't and if you do, you should certainly get an answer.

As already stated, it's only going to get worse. Latest figures for Jan 2011 show ANOTHER 10% increase on last JAN for Dubai TMA movements - that puts us on track for a >40% increase in movements in 3 yrs, by the end of this year. This using hopelessly outdated procedures and equipment - never mind electronic strips, we can't even get electronic estimates from the UAE ACC! As for the radar, the latest all singing / dancing system is sitting in DWC but won't be online for quite some time (I'll let you guess why but it's closely linked to the reason we're still on 2009 salaries, despite all the proud boasts of year on year record profits by emirates et al).

Moves ARE afoot to increase movement rates by allowing independant use of the runways but I really can't see how that can be done without overcoming the insidious speed control issues - we will be expected to work down to minimum vortex wake spacing but without addressing the issue, expect lots of go-arounds.

All in all, everyone from the ACC in AD to apTWR/APP does their best with the tools available. The tools SHOULD evolve in the foreseeable future - let's hope they do.