PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air asia Philippines?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:18
capt. solipsist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmm... guys, no intention to rain on your (OUR) parade. quite the contrary in fact, as I'm just as excited with this prospect.

however, let us temper our effervescence a bit by some reality check.

before Air Asia (or any airline) can operate hereabouts (thereabouts), they would have to pass through the CAB, w/c is mandated to conduct public hearings re their proposition.

has anyone among you had any experience how these things go?

during these public hearings, everyone and his brother is welcome to attend and OBJECT to the proposed business. hence, expect the existing airlines to make full use of their retainer liars, opps, lawyers, in obstructing said plan.

how long can this get? imagine a public hearing...

lawyer of opposition 1 (LO1): "your honor, how can the proponents claim that there is enough market to sustain such a proposal?"

lawyer of proponent (LP): "your honor, we would like to submit our feasibility studies that show that not only there is a market, but that even with the service we propose to provide, it will still be under-served by 20%"

LO 1: "your honor, we reserve the right to study such evidence and question the same for a later time."

presiding CAB director: "very well, this hearing is adjourned and reset to 2 weeks from now to enable the oppositors ample opportunity to study the submitted exhibit."

LO 1: "your honor, i beg your indulgence, but i have another hearing on that date. 3 weeks from now would be fine."

presiding CAB director: "i, on the other hand, am indisposed on that period. let's make it 4 weeks from now."

LO 2: "your honor, that is not feasible for me."

presiding CAB director: "5 weeks from now then."

LO 3: "I apologize your honor, but i have another hearing on that day."

presiding CAB director: "this hearing is adjourned, and shall resume until further notice to the satisfaction of all parties concerned."

get the drift? it always takes longer than expected, is all.