PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS pilot fell asleep while co-pilot at the toilet
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:03
Dodo56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Fred
Leave me out of your self-actualization schemes. When I am transporting your family across the world I should be rested and fit. If that is "soft" to you tough--go buy an airplane and self-actualize to your hearts content--just not with my relatives on board. This is the transportation industry--not a springboard to collect experiences that one can yield into bragging rights.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, in principle, but sadly principle does not fill airplane seats and airlines are obligated to use their assets (which includes the good folk at the sharp end) to the limits of the law if they are not to go out of business due to high prices and lost passengers.

Of course I'm not condoning breaking or even bending the rules, just saying if anyone here feels the amount of rest or the shift pattern they are allowed by their employer is inadequate, and the employer is not breaking the law, their gripe lies with the rulemakers not the airline.