PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206 - Common errors, performance, handling & C of G characteristics...
Old 10th Feb 2011, 09:21
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
206 Jock said: " .. the drain had a tendency not to seal properly after each check .."
As PACO mentioned, this should be a daily check but, 206's (both regular and L's) are susceptible to 'sticking' fuel drains and I have come to the rescue of more than one 206 driver who, standing beside his trusty steed, was scratching his head wondering when his beast would stop peeing!

The solution is to tap the end of the fuel drain outlet (anything solid will do) and which usually abates the leak. Thereafter one should inform maintenance to get it fixed.

Gordy said: "It sounds weird and I expect to be teased by this but learn to become one with your helicopter, to treat her with respect, give her a name .."
My godfather named just about every aircraft he flew. He formed emotional attachments with them, would tell stories about them and would talk to them. It was not however something I was able to replicate during my own career but, I get what you are saying.

Re: Treating the aircraft with respect, this (to me) naturally flows from an emotional attachment. As I was unable to form strong emotional attachments with the aircraft I flew this 'respect' was manifest through developing an awareness of the aircraft's and my own limitations.

Re: Circuit breakers, in my view the fuel pumps and caution warning should have been switches. The pumps are so loud that simply by selecting them one by one you can establish whether they are functioning (corroborated of course by the corresponding pressure indication). Like many I would rarely leave the pumps running without the engine in order to conserve battery power. As for the caution warning I simply couldn't tollerate that shrill bleeping sound and so the confouded thing was decidedly off until N1 was properly established and off again just prior shut down! (It was also easier to confirm the operation of the igniters with the caution off).

Re: Controls. I always maintained slight friction on the collective and which was usually applied post take off but would operate the cyclic friction free. I would very much like to have sampled Ferranti's auto-stabilisation system for the 206 but, alas, never had the opportunity. Rumours were that it made the 206 a dream to fly!

While I prefer flying aircraft with more than two main blades the 206 has (despite what I have written above) earned a place of nostalgic affection with me. As with the R22 she pretty much transformed the industry and I struggle to think of an application in which she has not been used. She is as reliable as ever - the Labrador of helicopters.

S.