PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2011, 08:01
radken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radken

DERG

As to no. 11 in your list - the “unforeseen”, I know this 380 thread is primarily concerned with the engine event itself, rather than the effects of its shrapnel on other systems/structures. However, it does seem that in PPRune it’s the only thread to use right now to point up and discuss the matter that it is Airbus itself, and not RR, which has also let down the flying public v/v the No. 1 fuel cut-off issue. But they’re not alone.

It’s quite discomforting and significant to know, without any doubt whatsoever, that the QF32 crew would have had absolutely no control (except fire bottles- if they would have worked) over a fuel fed engine/pylon fire at #1 at any point after the #2 burst. What a way to discover a long existent “unforeseen” engineering oversight, to be forced into the full realization that lack of well designed redundancy in this critical system truly endangered everyone on board. The truth is, though (I believe), no cmcl jets have redundancy in this area.

So, we get to learn from QF32... and we get to learn it without loss of life. How wonderful and fortunate is this unusual opportunity for EADS/Airbus to sit back, take a deep breath, clear the mind, and begin thinking about obligations to others besides their “bean counters.”

Trent 972 pointed out that the A380 FCOM shows “fire” is not one of the sensed FADEC parameters. That makes total sense. I’m sure it’s this way for a very good reason. An engine shut-down decision based on supposed fire is much more in the purview of the skipper than it should ever be as the purview of some remote device, which itself may have been instructed erroneously by any number of other devices, themselves of dubious reliability.... such as fire detect loops. But when called for it'd better work!

I can only add that the re-exposure of a previously demonstrated (Turbine D - A340 versus the wall) weak link in what should be an “infallible” engine/pylon fuel cut-off system should be addressed by Airbus (Boeing, etc.) ASAP. Redundancy in hydraulics, electrics, tank plumbing? Why not in fuel shut-off, too? It apparently could be real handy at times. It may not be “Rocket Science,” but it sure sounds like good “Jet Science.”