PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Bets On Replacement Over 737 Re-engining
Old 10th Feb 2011, 04:20
avgenie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Quote:
Originally Posted by: keesje
"So Airbus engineering is fully occupied with the A380 and A400 and Boeing has its hands free because the 787 and 747-8 are ready? And you just went along? "

I understand the challenges in airplane development. However, you may have misread my writeup. Actually I had written the following:
"The How Boeing Defied book says the only option Airbus has is to re-engine the A320, as its engineering resources are occupied with A350, A400M and A380 problems. On the other hand, Boeing will have the 787, 747-8 engineering resources freed soon to work on a new airplane."

I am no expert. I found this book "How Boeing Defied the Airbus Challenge" pretty interesting. The way I understand is the re-engine effort is for the looming global competition from Russian UAC's MS21, Chinese C919, Bombardier's C-series for A320/B737 size airplane in 2016/2017. The issue is can Boeing or Airbus come with a brand new airplane in 2017 time period or will they essentially keep the current airframe and just change the engines to gain the fuel efficiency? And how it will affect the competition, and shape the global standing of these behemoths?

2. Quote:
Originally Posted by: DERG
"You would never get me on a plane with two engines thats goes over
mountains the rivers and seas and the Asian Steppes in 7 or 8 000 mile
hops. Give me the A34s and 74s everytime. Even the A38s..ahem. "

I empathize with you but the future options for your world travels may be a little restricted with the launch of the A350XWB & 787, and with the global proliferation of ETOPS certified long range twins !! Actually this book "How Boeing Defied the Airbus Challenge" is all about last 20-years Airbus-Boeing battle over ETOPS, facts, data and emotions.