PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2011, 01:00
DERG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would I build?

"would you build anything valuable (say: a 0,1M$ house or a 10M$ bridge or a 10M$ turbine engine) based on such facts as we have here
I would say these are good for discussion or creating opinions but too weak for making real decisions."

Civil Engineers are involved in many projects which are multi disciplinary and the most recent failure was the BP, Trans Ocean and Halliburton accident in the Gulf of Mexico. I was not involved.

Unlike building an engine to a set pattern each job is different so we are familiar in using first principal methods to achieve the result. And all the time we have the finished project in view while building. Safety is paramount.

The value of the project in terms of money is important to the accounts but our job is to build the structure "on schedule, on quality, and on budget". This is often impossible.

I have to say that building a gas turbine is relatively less stressful because you have total control of the variables. In that sense mechanical engineering is easier because you know the materials, the environment and loads and temperatures it will have to endure.

The designers, the architects, are often ambitious in what they want to build. "Walt Disney" concepts in perfect world where the sun always shines and the ground never moves.

The facts we have here are abstract ideas based on what we have seen and read. Would I build on them? Or maybe you should ask would I invest in the product or the company using facts we have uncovered. No, I would not.