PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Whistling wheelbarrow"
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2011, 14:44
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
115 Sqn was never at Benson with Argosys. It was based at Cottesmore and was a Signals Command squadron (or whatever they were called at that time).

After Cottesmore they went to Brize Norton and were based on the south side of the airfield, I think in the old 511 Sqn HQ?

I have fond memories of attending Taff John's farewell thrash there around 1975. (I was on 53 Sqn flying Belfasts by then).

What a wonderful chap Taff was. He never said very much but what he did say was well worth listening to. I can remember Taff coming out to Bahrain as OC Ardet. I took him on a "strip trainer" visiting several bundu locations in Oman.

The flight engineer was not my normal one (Eric Yates) and he obviously was quite nervous about "up country" flying. Taff and the rest of us were having a good day out but the F/E was determined to stop the fun.

At one point we got airborne from Ibri (I think) and the said F/E made the comment that not only was the Doppler u/s but the pressurisation system was now suspect (we hadn't been above 3,000 ft for hours).

The Prince of Darkness took his pipe out of his mouth and said, "Mr S****n, as far as I am concerned, Doppler and pressurisation are luxuries".

That shut him up!

We could even start another thread about Taff John stories.