PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206 - Common errors, performance, handling & C of G characteristics...
Old 9th Feb 2011, 12:59
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Speaking of c.g.

The question often comes up: Where do you put the second passenger?

The first, obviously, goes in the "copilot" seat. But what if there are two pax?

Some pilots want the second passenger right behind them, i.e. in the right-rear seat. This makes the ship hover a little more skids-level.

Me...and I know you're going to think I'm crazy...but I prefer to have the second pax on the left-hand side. This way, the ship hovers a little more left-side low. For me, it's easier to land if I can feel for that left-rear skid to touch. Put that on the ground, then ease the rest of the landing gear down. Otherwise, my landings are sometimes akin to what happens when you drop a silver dollar on a table.

One side benefit to having both people on the left is that they'll both get out on the left-hand side. If someone is sitting behind you, no matter what you've told them previously, it is GUARANTEED that as soon as the skids touch he'll pop the door, hop out and then walk under the tail boom to the baggage compartment before you can get the rotor down to idle. Sometimes I wish the 206 didn't even have a left-rear door - just the pop-out window. Sometimes I wish helicopters had those child-proof doors like cars have. (Not really, but you know...)

Landing with pax onboard is like herding cats. And the more they've flown, the more they think they know, the more dangerous they are.