PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Whistling wheelbarrow"
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2011, 21:58
zetec2

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Argosy, bless it.

brakedwell,

Re the Matsapa trips, I was on one of the first in, my list shows in XP408, pilot was a Flt Lt by name of Mori or Murray ?, he who later landed with the brakes on & blocked the runway, anyway you will remember that us engine chaps had to check engine & gearbox oils soonest after shutdown & we normally went out of the cockpit escape hatch onto the roof & down onto the wings, it was a surprise to find very neatly going through the vortex generators & down the side of the fuselage about half a dozen very neat holes, we had been shot at on the approach in, never found any bullets inside or who did it, I had the unpleasant job of going through the rear cockpit door in the heat & humidity down among the air condition pack to try & find any damage, none found ???, aircraft had the holes patched with aluminium tape & returned to Nairobi low level with no pressurisation, Fl Off John Church the JENGO signed it off & went back with it by request of the crew, Bill Aspinall in charge if I remeber correctly, we did have fun those days !. This could go on for weeks as there are many & varied tales to tell, PH.