PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.K. Military Crews Won't Be Part of SAR-H Deal
Old 8th Feb 2011, 16:29
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Torque

Thanks. Accepted. I was making a general point, which I think you appreciate.

I listened to the BBC broadcast. There has to be more to this because what was reported is a non-story. If they want to stop the "revolving door", fine, but from what was said his move was within the rules. It is common practice. The officer concerned was probably annoyed he had to wait, because more senior staffs have the "requirement" routinely waived. A certain Reviewing Officer on the Mull of Kintyre crash is a case in point.

The concept if "Chinese Walls" has, to my mind, always been laughable. Only a fool would think (any) company would not seek to use their new employee's expertise - presumably that's why they recruited him. After all, it is acceptable for IPTs to visit one company and brief them on the required answer to bids and afford access to key source documents; while refusing to speak to other bidders and carpeting them for daring to complain. (I don't agree with such favouritism, and wouldn't practice it, but it is nevertheless permitted; especially if a Government Defence Minister and his son are on the Board - perhaps just a coincidence).

Methinks a key phrase in the report was that the preferred bidder "was in trouble anyway". That, coupled with the relatively high profile and potential cost. Not forgetting the money other bidders have sunk into their bids. The words scape and goat come to mind.