PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeppesen Approach Charts Non Precision DA
Old 8th Feb 2011, 16:16
Zeffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also confused

Greenfly07
However, I am still confused. If the new Jepp DAs for Non-Precision Approaches do NOT include any add on, then surely they should always be factored to prevent descent below this 'hard' altitude? As far as I can see, the new DA is the same as an old MDA. The difference is that the charts now display the approach as a continuous descent procedure with an arrow showing the latest point at which the Go Around should be initiated.
The AIP source indicates that the "DA" (730' MSL) for the VOR DME 27 approach at EHAM is in fact an MDA.

The Jeppesen chart is tagged PANS-OPS 4, with "Standard" depicted in reverse type within the minima box.

Isn't it bit perplexing that an EU charting spec (i.e., -- not a revision to procedure criteria) seems to have become a de facto revision to PANS-OPS?

FAA's Advisory Circular 120-108 makes clear that a crew must never descend below the MDA during a go-around in IMC:
f. Derived Decision Altitude (DDA). Pilots must not descend below the MDA when executing a missed approach from a CDFA.
Absent a DDA additive, isn't there significant risk of losing the designed obstacle clearance?

From where does the authority to descend below an MDA originate?