PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sqn Ldr (Keith??) Hanscombe
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2011, 10:43
ToffeeMark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really saddened to read about the circumstances of this accident, but also very interested in learning more about it. My dad was ground crew at Marham at the time, I was talking to him this week about which aircraft he had worked on, Asked him if he'd been on buccaneers and he said no, don't like them and he cited this accident. It was very difficult to find info on it, I'll look into the book, and have a chat with my dad again.

Are the any other sources? the most interesting read has been from this thread. I did also find this detail: (5 crew, 4 died)

24 Mar 75
XH618
Victor
KlA
57 Sqn
off Sunderland

Mid air collision with Buccaneer XV156. The Victor was taking part in simulated refuelling when the Buccaneer struck the tailplane rendering the Victor immediately uncontrollable. It bunted over and the 'g' forces made it impossible for the crew to escape; the captain, Flight Lieutenant Keith Handscomb managed to reach the ejection handle with the fingers of one hand and although injured was subsequently rescued by a merchant ship. The aircraft exploded as it reached the cloud tops. The Buccaneer was undamaged and returned to base.

Flight Lieutenant David Hallam CROWTHER
Flight Lieutenant Peter Joseph Leo SLATTER
Flying Officer Terence Patrick EVANS
Flying Officer John Arthur PRICE