PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2011, 08:12
DERG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only hope we have is the ATSB. They are the only ones that do not have a political or economic interest to consider. I guess the only thing they could do is bannish the engine altogther from use on Australian registered aircraft. I dare say off the record a few would agree with that.

There is no question that this mistake has cost RR a lot of money. They will be very carefully attending to these T900s. If another one goes bang they basically have lost all reputation. I would ride on the A388 with the RR Trent because I know that it is safe....well the probabilities are that it is safe..cannot see another novel event happening.

There is a saying about accidents, very much used on this thread; "when all the holes in the cheese line up" Yeah....we had a new engine design using an inexperienced supplier (FAG) and a duff bunch of academics advising the usual bag of dull crayons in management.

It really has been the way NOT to do things. RR made every mistake in the book. As always the general public will be mostly unaware of the background hustle. The deals will be made out of court and business will go on as usual. As Bear says:

"Will for once the authorities demand a revocation, or will they succumb to pressure to keep the troubled engine in service?"

GE will be watching all this in total disbelief. Of course the Schaeffer/FAG bearing manufacturer has opened a plant in Canada specifically to supply GE with bearings for their aerospace gas turbines. I don't think the USA or Canada will be as trusting as RR was.

The unbelievable part to me in ALL this is how RR were led to believe that the telemetry would give them " one and a half hour warning" of a serious engine problem. Just how a bunch of spophistic academics can lead a company like RR to the depths of total incompetence is truly amazing.