PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2011, 07:38
septerra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

@marguireta,

I lack the experience and the insight to have an idea of the various flying training venues available, but thanks to all the positive endorsements from yourself and others, I have decided that gliding would be a worthwhile activity to express my enthusiasm to the recruiters while conforming to my tight financial elasticity. So, thanks again.

I was researching on glider flying schools as I am looking to start lessons within the next two weekends, and came across a couple of websites, namely the Gliding Club of Victoria which provides lessons at Benalla and the VMFG [Victorian Motor less Flying Group] in Bacchus Marsh. The Gliding Club website mentions that one is able to go solo within five to eight hours of instruction before advanced training, and this basic course can be covered in a five day package or over a few weekends and quotes it at $2100, while the VMFG site mentions that one can go solo within a year of membership and seems a little more expensive.
I have no doubt that I would find it quite a breath-taking experience since it would be my very first time seated in a cockpit, and have loads of fun learning all that is shown. However, since I haven’t had the financial freedom to afford this experience prior to now, and my file being resent to the PSA within the next two months, I am left with very little time and am therefore looking to fill out my logbook with at least a few hours of flying, to project my enthusiasm and the commitment I am willing to make, to the PSA. I haven’t gotten around to contacting the two above mentioned organisations, but was wondering if anyone with the knowledge or experience can comment on the two extreme time frames quoted here by the two schools. Furthermore, any suggestions on other providers of glider flying lessons around Melbourne would also be appreciated.

Thank you.
Best Regards
Sep

BTW, congratulations Caity, I am envious :P . Good luck mate.