PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Air Hong Kong situation
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2011, 02:41
cxorcist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

Good debate. I think all have valid points. FWIW, I think the AOA does have its "poo in one pile" and is addressing this issue appropriately. How much force used will be determined by the membership and remains to be seen. I hope all the CX pilots view this issue as worth while because it is. This type of outsourcing could easily occur with Dragonair or some other acquired pax carrier. Imagine what would happen if CX decided Oz was too much hassle to onshore and decided to use KA or some other pilots for Australia services.

For those that think there is harassment of AHK applicants here, I do not see it that way. I see an education. They have a right to know what is going on here and whether or not they want to insert themselves into that. Right or wrong, they will not be treated very well by those at CX, especially by the -400 training department. Claims to the contrary are without precedent. I would want to know if I were joining a carrier growing specifically to undercut another pilot group. Personally, I would steer clear but can also see why some piston driver from down-under might jump at the opportunity.

IMO, it is perfectly valid to discourage new-joining when those being hired will be used as industrial pawns in the future. I have loudly discouraged international cadets whom will one day live in HKG on an SO wage without housing. Not a wink of sleep lost over having done so. In fact, I would lose sleep if I did not speak up.

This AHK plan to expand into the -400 is devious at best. At worst, it is illegal and may have to be determined in court although I would prefer a well-timed round of CC by the AOA. My guess is that we will have a plethora of issues to be upset about once the non-pay negotiations start up later this year. The AHK expansion will just be icing on the cake. Any good will from the pay deal has been used up. Might as well turn up the heat early for the next round...