PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military madness; Why?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2011, 01:44
Straight Up Again

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not saying we post talented SQN LDRs / MAJs etc to DMO or various projects from project inception to Sqn service (no matter how long); nor saying we ought to build our own ICBMs (OK I'm being silly); but there may be scope in this regard to minimise the posting cycle sh1t fight for projects of vital importance.

What would it take? Would would the costs be for both the service & the member concerned? What precautions would be needed to avoid 'customer capture'? What incentives would be needed to attract talented SMEs to 'opt out' of the posting cycle for 6-10 years?
Tempting people in Uniform to a long period on one project may be difficult, but having somebody on a PO for 10 years may also have problems.

How much does their military effectiveness dissapear over that time? i.e. if you have an Army SME from an armoured vehicle background, will he lose some of his effectiveness as he gest further away from operational, and indeed operational concepts and other kit (not from his project) change? (genuine question, I don't have a military background, but know that test pilots do limited tours usually before going back to a squadron)

I still think you would need some short term people on the project to keep an input from the end user perspective, but maybe less of them and in less important positions, or else you may end with on time, on budget, meets the requirements kit that is actually bugger all use.