PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's yours, and it's free: FMS Question and Answer...
Old 5th Sep 2002, 07:01
NorthernSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A quick post to (a) bring this back into circulation (because I'm sure we haven't finished discussions just yet); and (b) answer the 'fly-over'/'fly-by' point.

It is a basic 'rule' of instrument flying - given in CAP54 Apendix M if memory serves, if not, please correct me - that a pilot may 'anticipate' the turn overhead a beacon or waypoint, provided that the aircraft remains within the protection of controlled airspace. For this reason, controllers should not be surprised that the aircraft turns early.

In the FMC database, a few points on some routes (especially SIDs and STARs) are defined as 'fly over', others, as 'fly-by'. In the Boeing, there is no facility to make a waypoint a 'fly-over' one.

I must say, that if separation depends upon it (miss distance predicted at 10nm or less, say), I would hope to be on a heading or series of headings, rather than trusting my safety to the aircraft's tracking.

One infuriating thing about the Spanish is their unwillingness to use headings, and just a couple of days ago, I found myself 6nm from opposite direction traffic, both of us on our 'own nav', in the upper air!

One final point for the high-paid help: There is no phraseology for instructing a pilot to 'fly-over' a waypoint, the phraseology laid down does not make a distinction between fly-by and fly-over.