PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passengers charged £300 a seat to be evacuated out of Cairo
Old 7th Feb 2011, 19:32
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Rico - it all depends on how much of a duty of care an airline or tour operator has with regards to the passengers. If it's a tour operator which in February is still selling packages to Luxor, while glossing over FCO advice, then this is irresponsible to say the least.

However, even when a country is undergoing revolution or at war, life still has to go on. Businesses still need to trade, families need to have the capacity to reunite, and some people want to be able to get out to safety.

It's all about different people needing varying levels of care. The young family who want to take their small children somewhere safe for a week's annual holiday need more attention. The person who lives in the unstable country and is returning home after a business trip can look after him/herself

In January 2010, I voluntarily chose to go as a tourist to a *very* unstable part of East Africa. I knew full well of the risks and spent many hours Googling it, but there was something I really wanted to see. Had there not been scheduled flights, I would not have gone. I was happy to take the risk, the airline was happy to take my money, and the airline crew were happy to get their wages. The hotel, restaurant, driver, tour guide and others were happy to have my money as well.

A ready flow of foreigners to a country tends to bring perspective, new ideas and prosperity and pacify a population. Remove scheduled transport to politically unstable countries, and it becomes much easier for a North Korean style despot to hold power.

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 7th Feb 2011 at 19:45.