PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206 - Common errors, performance, handling & C of G characteristics...
Old 7th Feb 2011, 16:40
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Back to the boost pump CB question.....on the L's the left boost pump is connected direct to the battery. That way, if one has complete electrical failure, you will still have the left boost pump operating.

The only way to turn it off is to either pull the left boost CB----OR turn off the fuel valve (which is the Bell recommended procedure. This is taken directly from the flight manual shutdown checklist for the L4.

NOTE
Left fuel boost pump will continue to
operate until FUEL VALVE switch is
positioned to OFF. This pump
operates directly from battery and
will not be deactivated when BAT
switch is OFF. Battery power will be
depleted if FUEL VALVE switch
remains on.
17. FUEL VALVE switch — OFF.
There is NO mention of pulling any CB's. From a legal standpoint, (and you all know how I love to argue this....), by pulling the CB, you will be in a bad position should something go wrong---especially in a litigious society that we all now find ourselves in.

Onto some helpful numbers:

I fly in the mountains most of the time and was taught these by the former chief pilot of Rocky Mountain Helicopters...

These numbers assume the following approach procedure:

1. Set up for a steep approach to be 100 feet above the obstacle in front of you....for the sake of explanation we will call this the "decision point". You would aim to arrive at the decision point in a deceleration to little to no airspeed and less than 300fpm descent and almost hover power.

2. Just as you reach the decision point, assuming you have made the approach smoothly, you will push the nose over slightly to stop the deceleration and you will feel a little drop..raise the collective a tad to stop the drop and note your pedal position, N1 and TOT.

3. From those numbers you need the following to hover IGE:

a. An extra ONE inch of left pedal
b. An extra 10% N1
c. An extra 35 degrees TOT

4. From those numbers you need the following to hover OGE.

a. An extra one and half inch of left pedal
b. An extra 15% N1
c. An extra 50 degrees of TOT

Therefore if when you add the extra pedal you are at the stop, or if when you add the extra N1 or TOT to what you have already and it puts you in the red....you are in a position right now to pull power gently and nose over slowly to regain airspeed and fly away. I have used these numbers in the Jetranger, the L4 and a 407 and they all work.

I will agree with everyone else that the Bells work really well as long as you take your time and do not rush.

When operating hot and high, with heavy loads, you need to let the aircraft "catch its breath" on lift off......by this what I mean is take it slow---I will start to lift the bucket out of the water and once I start to take the strain, will pause for a few seconds without moving the collective....the aircraft will "catch its breath" and start lifting all by itself.....

I am lucky that I work the same helicopter, (LaFawnduh..) year round. It sounds weird and I expect to be teased by this---but learn to become one with your helicopter...... treat her with respect...... give her a name, (just like the aircraft in the world wars), and others will treat her with respect too, they will no longer see it as just a machine...... Most of all...have fun.... some of us have the best job in the world, and the rest reading this have the best hobby in the world....enjoy.