PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206 - Common errors, performance, handling & C of G characteristics...
Old 7th Feb 2011, 12:10
BH06L3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can do whatever you like with the throttle, boost pumps, fuel valve etc BEFORE hitting the starter button, and it won't matter a rat's. All the boost pumps do is provide pressure up to the engine-driven pump. Nothing gets past that pump until it is running.
I would not agree with the statement above as I have flooded the engine can doing a A/F fuel filter drain. Throttle was left full open and when boost pumps and Battery where turned on fuel started spewing out the engine drain valve......

As mentioned before when hot and high keep on those pedals. If you let the yaw get away on you it will take more power to stop it especially in the L and you may not have the power and over torque. Sometimes it is actually easier to reduce collective rather than use lots of left pedal which may also require more collective. So if you find yourself running out of left pedal reduce the collective if possible. Don't forget to do a regular scan after any power change or at least every couple of minutes in flight and in the L check the forward fuel tanks regularly because if you got 300lbs of fuel and 150lbs in the FWD tank then you have a problem. I got caught once low fuel light flickered hit the caution panel to see what light was flickering looked like low fuel check the forward tank and it was still full. only had about 60lbs of usable fuel if I remember correct.

As for starting the 206 learn a flow start and once you learn a way that works for you don't let anyone change it or that will just screw you up and you will probably miss some checks. Was teaching a new pilot to start the 206 with the 2 finger method one on the starter and one presses the detent once it pops for a quicker shutoff. The guy pressed the detent and let go of the starter. luckily my hand was close by and caught the starter.........That was the last time I tried to change a guys system that worked for him as long as he didn't miss anything. Although learning the 2 finger start or as mentioned earlier just cracking the throttle and not going past the detent allows a quicker shut off and may just save you from a hot start one day.