PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety culture in GA.
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2011, 11:53
Johnny_56

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Great thread, and some great replies.

From my (limited) experience in this industry "safety culture" like "safety management system" etc is treated like a buzz word that customers like to see around the place.

I believe to evolve a safety culture in an organization, or industry for that matter, requires leadership. In a company this needs to come from the CP & management etc. Unfortunately, as many have alluded to, hoping that a young pilot fresh into his 1st or 2nd hard fought job will not push the boundaries to try to be seen doing the 'right thing' is unrealistic. I've been there and taken off overloaded and out of balance etc, hopefully you mature fast enough to learn that you're being a knob and you're not as smart as you think you are.

Say "I wont do it that way but how about this."
In these situations CP's, managers, owners & senior pilots all have a part to play and give some advice. These senior people should be guiding the less experienced pilots out there, not turning a blind eye and hoping they learn along the way.

The AFAP has a part to play in this also. Unions should be out there pushing for better standards. This includes educating and encouraging it's members to do the right thing and what the right thing is. Other unions do this which is part of the reason safety standards in other industries have improved.

"If you think safety is expensive, wait till you've had an accident"

Fly safe kids

Johhny