PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet still recruiting ???
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2001, 21:59
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 206 Likes on 73 Posts
Question

Jet A1 - who ya with - I did know once upon a time but I've forgotten.

The business traffic down trading to low cost is the basis of the million dollar question right now. Truth is I just don't know. The market for the low cost sector has been a rapidly expanding one in the Uk since it all began. This means that there has always been enough market to chase seperately. With a contraction of the available market we may see the low costs going head to head. To an extent this is happening in Scotland already.

If that happens then I fear the sector will canibalise itself into a fruitless downward cycle of attrition.

However, if there were such a thing as the sector to be in at the moment then I reckon its the Low Cost one. Ryanair have the deepest pockets at this point and although I would not want to work for them I reckon a Ryan Captain well up the seniority list is the only man not checking the size of his mortgage this week...

It'll all turn out for the best I expect.

Some commentators are pointing out that the Giv will scrap airport tax which helps a lot with cheap tickets e.g. A Ryanair £3.50 fare to Dublin is actually £2.50 tax and only £1 for the company.

Also aircraft and training costs will be reduced as will the vociferousness (?) of pay and conditions demands...

An awful lot depends on what happens in the next month or two regards military action and terrorist reprisals. All I know is that I sure as hell would not want to be job hunting for the next 18 months armed only with 200hrs and a sharp CV.