PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil rotary IR precision approach tolerances
Old 7th Feb 2011, 03:18
moggiee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourist: spot on with DH/MDH - operating to a DH/DA is a piece of cake and really doesn't need a lot of thought. An MDH/MDA is much more tricky if it involves the "fly level to the MAPt" section. That's why most of the UK airlines modify the MDA into a DA (as I posted earlier).

DDW: LASORS Section E still leaves a grey area because when I looked at it yesterday it only gave limits for an IMC test, not the (more stringent) IR test. Without seeing a copy iof the UK CAA examiners handbook, you are left to assume that the tolerances are the same.

HEDP: the only civilian airport at which I've done a PAR approach was Keflavik, Iceland (PAR provided by the US Navy). Their talkdown was less accurate than the VOR/DME (non-precision) approach that I'd just flown.

Civilian pilots are very unlikely to do a PAR approach but the staple diet is the ILS which is a precision approach, of course - and therefore the use of DA is almost universal. That's why I say that precision approaches are the staple diet of the civilian world.