PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you Legeal to fly? (ASIC/AVID)
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2011, 19:41
fatboywings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you Legeal to fly? (ASIC/AVID)

Hi Everyone,

I am currently going through the mine field of paperwork for the issue of my PPL. I have stumbled across something that is slowing my application down.

I have to have a valid Aviation Secuirty Status Check, as per legislation. My question to you all is,

Whom has a current Aviation Security Status Check?

ie CASA says, "you are required to have a valid ASIC or AVID to exercise the privledges of a flight crew licence"

I know of quite a number of people that are flying and would be surprised to learn that they are not flying legally and there fore are not insured, due to an expired ASIC.

Now this is the kicker, as per CASA's application form's for both ASIC and AVID, sections 7 and 6 respectively is the sign off for the Aviation Security Status Check. Both section are exactly the same. However your ASIC cards Aviation Security Status check is valid for 2 years and the AVID is 5 years.

In Short, If you are flying with an expired ASIC, you are flying illegally.

My question to both Infrastructure and CASA is, if both sections of the application forms 498 and 499 for AVID and ASIC are exactly the same, it would stand to reason that if you have been issued either a AVID or ASIC in the last 5 years that you have a valid Aviation Security Staus Check. Obviously with an expird ASIC you can not enter security controlled areas without a VIC, but, surely you can excercise flight crew licence priveledges. CASA SAYS NO!

After completing my test on the 19th December last year, my application has been rejected a second time, i have been told. The first application was sent back to the wrong State and there is now no sign of the second application. On top of this i am having to wait an additional month or 2 for casa to do the Aviation Security Status Check.

I guess the funniest thing of all is, I own my own bloody aircraft and quite frankly if i was a notorious peron wanting to do harm to the general public, would i really bother applying for a licence in the first place?

Bloody ID and Licences. In the real world a Drivers Licence is ID, in Aviation fairy land you need to carry your Licence and your Aviation ID, just my rant. Thanks
Ben