PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet flight crew roles
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2011, 18:52
Nicholas49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easyJet flight crew roles

Hello

I'm not really sure which is the correct forum for this question, but I'll try here. It's a bit unusual, so hope that's OK!

Last Saturday, I flew from London Luton to Geneva with easyJet. When the Captain introduced the crew before our departure, he said he was joined on the Flight Deck by 'fellow Captain 'A' [obviously I will not write his real name]' and First Officer 'B'. Nothing untoward in having two captains on the flight deck, I thought to myself, drawing on some PPruNe knowledge .

However, the thing that did make me go 'eh?' was this. I am 95% certain that First Officer 'B', when making a top of descent PA, introduced himself as 'Captain B'. How am I certain? Because his surname was fairly distinctive and I do listen carefully to such announcements (perhaps more than your average passenger).

I completely recognise that I may have misheard, or that possibly there was a name muddle in the first PA. But what I wanted to ask is: do you guys know of any circumstances in which two pilots could introduce themselves as the Captain?

As an unrelated question, am I correct in thinking that the reason there were two captains (whoever they were) on the Flight Deck was either:

- a line check where one guy was a training captain
- command upgrade training
- one of the captains was positioning to operate a flight from Geneva?

Given that this was a Luton-based crew and it was a Boeing 737-700, is any one of the above reasons more likely than the others?

Thanks as ever,
Nick