PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sing Air ponders domestic route
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2002, 23:37
Wirraway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAP

Virgin slams Ansett hype
September 05, 2002

UNCONFIRMED reports of a Singapore Airlines-led revival of Ansett are irresponsible and give false hope to former staff, Virgin Blue has argued.

Less than two weeks from the anniversary of Ansett's collapse, reports have circulated that a proposal to revive the airline will be put to Singapore's board on September 11.

Singapore Airlines has refused to confirm or deny the report, but said it was keeping its options open and stressed Australia remained an important market.

Virgin Australia chief executive officer Brett Godfrey told Channel 7 today he did not believe Singapore Airlines would choose Ansett as a vehicle with which to enter the Australian domestic market.

"I think it is irresponsible and its probably unconscionable for people to be suggesting that there will be 24 jets flying in Singapore colours in the short term," Mr Godfrey said

"I just don't believe it and I think it's probably about time that we see Singapore come out with a statement to support it or otherwise."

Mr Godfrey said Ansett's great brand reputation had suffered before its collapse and a new domestic player would need a fresh start.

"Ansett had, once upon a time, a wonderful brand reputation but it didn't at the end," he said.

"It had a couple of serious maintenance concerns and ... the reputation wasn't quite what it was five or even 10 years ago.

"I'm not a brand expert but I would have thought if somebody was going to come in, whether it was Singapore Airlines or anybody else, they would try something fresher or newer."

Mr Godfrey said he believed there was room for a third domestic airline.

"But I think some of the comments bandied around about a revised Tesna-type bid is just irresponsible and really just gives false hope to those people who lost their jobs nearly 12 months ago.

Mr Godfrey said he had held no discussions with Singapore Airlines over a possible deal with Virgin Blue.

"I've had no discussions with Singapore Airlines along those lines at all."